With today’s kickoff of the world’s most popular sporting event, the 2014 FIFA World Cup, we consider some of the careers lessons we’ve learned over the years:
1. Sometimes, Lady Luck will be on your side…
2. And sometimes, she won’t. Either way, you can never stop trying.
3. This guy doesn’t get the promotion, he’s everyone’s least favorite co-worker and the office gets excited when he calls in sick. No one likes this guy. Don’t be this guy.
4. Dress to impress. A little style can go a long way.
5. You’ll likely have to deal with a strange client every now and again…
6.Take it in stride and always do your best. (Maybe even get a little strange too.)
7. There’s no such thing as a fair weather fan. Support your team in triumph and defeat (or snow and shine).
8. Even when you feel like this…
9. Act like this. Confidence is key.
10. Like this referee, your boss is not an idiot. Don’t try a move like this. Ever.
11. Sometimes, you’ll feel like you’ve been kicked in the chest. Always get back up and try, try again.
12. Never let a little stumble prevent you from making the goal.
13. Fact: The World Cup has never been won by an individual. Team strategy is always better than solo thinking.
14. Sometimes, you’ll miss a [insert career aspiration here]…
15. But when you achieve it, it’s okay to celebrate like this:
16. No one likes a poor sport…
17. So always have your peer’s back, even if they’re not from the same team.
18. Don’t be a faker.
19. Authenticity will go a very long way. (Also FYI: Slapping’s not cool either.)
20. Be quick on your feet! It will help get you closer to your goal.
21. Don’t be afraid to show your support for your team.
22. Yes, it’s nice to celebrate your own successes…
23. But always more fun to celebrate with the team.
24. And remember to fight for what matters.