Do you meet the requirements to become an Uber driver? We created a guide to help you SPEED through the application process with ease!
First off, be aware that requirements differ in each state. They might even differ between cities within the same state! Don't let that scare you away. Most folks meet the terms to drive for Uber.
Let's cover the rules to pass the Uber driver requirements.
Uber Driver Requirements
These are a few terms you need to meet at a minimum:
- You must have a valid U.S. drivers license.
- Your vehicle must be a 4-door.
- Your vehicle must be on the allowed list.
- Pass a background check.
- Have a clean driving record.
Uber Driver Age Requirements
- You must be 21+ years old.
- Driving experience requirements:
- Under 23 years old: Must have 3 years driving experience.
- 23 or older: At least 1 year driving experience.
Required Records For Uber Driver Applicants
The required records you need are pretty simple for most cities and states:
- Valid U.S. drivers license.
- Proof of auto registration.
- Proof of auto insurance.
- Pass online screening.
- Review of driving record and criminal background.
State & Local Requirements For Uber Drivers
These are Uber requirements. Cities, Counties, or States may have their own ride-sharing rules. In some cases, you may need to obtain certain things like:
- Business license or permit.
- Local union member.
- Pay local or state fees or taxes.
- Insurance requirements may be greater-than required by Uber.
- In rare cases, a city may require a CDL.
Besides driver requirements, Uber has vehicle terms to meet as. Certain cities have further rules on what cars you can use.
Uber Driver Background Check Requirements
Shaky on getting denied? These are a few details on offense types the background check will look for (past 7 years):
- Driving Under Influence.
- Drug-type offense.
- Driving without insurance or license.
- Fatal crashes.
- Record of reckless driving.
- Any other criminal record.
The Uber background check includes searching local, state, and country levels. The list of needed items for the background check is pretty simple:
Items Needed For Your Background Check
- Full name.
- Date of birth.
- Social security number.
- Drivers license number.
If you're thinking any offense will exclude you, don't worry. Some types of offense are a non-issue. Though, any of the offense types above may cause you to get denied.
Basic Uber Vehicle Requirements
Other than driver requirements, Uber requires vehicles that meet certain things.
- 2000 year model or newer for most cities.
- Must seat 4 riders minimum (doesn't include you).
- Must have license plates from the state you're driving in.
- Can't have a salvage title.
- Can't be a taxi vehicle.
For other details, check out our list of Uber's vehicle requirements.
Uber Vehicle Classes
Uber has a few vehicle classes, each with their own requirements.
- UberSelect (UberPlus in some markets).
- UberBlack (UberLux, if you prefer to roll in style!).